Life Long Learning
In an age when the entire world is available on your desktop, now more than ever it is no longer the function of high schools to be the distributor of information. Instead, high school should be a place to develop what educators like to call “habits of mind”- in other words, a place to practice and develop the skills that we know help adults become successful providers for themselves, their families and their communities.
Here’s a little told secret- becoming “grown-up” is a complicated, demanding, exciting and more fascinating adventure than any video game-but it doesn’t come with an operating manual. At R.E.A.L. Prep we surround students with teachers, mentors and other adult guides who are devoted to helping students get a head start to success. You have to take the journey, but we can give you some of the “cheats” to make it a little bit easier and a lot more fun.
R.E.A.L. Prep is designed to guide students toward success in college, careers and adult life by:
- Helping each student understand their own learning style so they can make choices that create success
- Developing time-management and planning skills
- Promoting self-sufficiency
- Practicing accountability to self and others
- Insuring excellent communication skills
- Knowing what Benchmarks, SAT, and post-secondary institutions require and making sure students have been taught what they need
- Creating an environment that more closely resembles college and workplace than traditional high schoo
- Connecting students to local, regional and national business, artistic and civic resources
- Allowing students to take healthy risks and supporting them in the proces
- Listening to student feedback and modeling flexibility in our own growth as a school